Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sabbatical Week

Today is the second last day of sabbaticals. I joined infuse electrifun. My teacher is Mrs. Ke. On the first day, I felt that the sabbatical was going to be boring after seeing numerous slides on the powerpoint presentation and leaving for competition after that. However, I could not have been more wrong.

On the second day, we did an extremely fun experiment. We were supposed to touch a big metal ball that was charged with electricity. Once we did, our hair stood up. It was hilarious, especially Xuan Yu's, because his hair was totally flat. There is a picture above. After seeing this, I was awed the moment I saw this. I never knew that electricity could cause such a big effect on us. The explanation then followed - the electrical charge could pass through your body as the body is charged with a negative charge causing no effect in the body until it reached the hair.

Today, we learnt more about lightnings. The lightnings we saw were simply out of this world! They were totally different from Singapores'. The lightnings were as often as 8 strikes a minute continuously for up to an hour. Furthermore, all the lightning strikes were huge and reached all the way to the ground. The pictures and videos themselves were unbelievable.

No comments: